The Secunderabad Clock Tower is synonymous with the christening of the city of Secunderabad. As the clock struck 12 on 3rd June 1807, Nizam III Sikandar Jah, named this half of the twin cities after himself, and issued orders to erect a clock tower celebrating 200 years of the city. Today, even as we celebrate over 400 years of the city, it stands freshly painted and refurbished with lamps, a well manicured garden, a small fountain and a fence to protect it. The clock, recently replaced, ticks on as a silent witness over the famous Garden Restaurant, Wesley Church, Navketan Complex and the many shops around it.
Although inaugurated by the then Resident Sir Trevor John Chichele Plowden, it was Dewan Bahadur Seth Lachmi Narayan Ramgopal who completed this project on 1st February 1897. If his name sounds familiar, this is because this was the same gentleman from Rajura, Maharashtra, who established the Dewan Bahadur Ramgopal Mills and Ramgopalpet and donated the clock in the Ramgopalpet Police Station. As a tribute to his generosity, his statue has been erected in front of Paradise Hotel – a small man in turban holding a piece of cloth to symbolize his cloth mills.
Built in the Gothic style, with its classy European tower soaring three floors, the tower’s fourth floor houses the clockwork and the fifths serves as a finial. The exposed red brick and mortar masonry forms a rough base distinguishing it from the fourth and fifth levels perfected in smooth plaster. While it remained neglected and surroudned by an overgrown garden with inconveniently located utilities, the tower was almost forgotten by the public for a long time. After several conservation efforts however, the tower and its garden are back in focus as an important landmark of the city. Now with paths around the park leading to the clock tower and utilities redone in a professional manner, this monument is certainly worth a dekko.